Sunday, January 29, 2012

What can really be done?

I haven’t written in a long time, but I assure you, after this New Year’s I’ll be writing more. Things just got really busy so it has been difficult to sit down and write out my thoughts. I miss this though; sitting down and contemplating the things I’ve done. I guess this is why writing is considered therapeutic.

Anyways, I heard some very good advice one time: talk/write about things you know, so that’s what I’m doing this time. I know that I’m 26, disillusioned and very sceptical of what is to come. This year has been intense. Never have I seen humanity for what it truly can be, until now. I know from history classes that Anne Frank was a strong person, and Adolf Hitler was an evil person. I know that Josef Stalin built an empire, and the U.S. countered the evil of communism. But I’ve witnessed the concept of humans losing their humanity because of a higher power. Watching the footage of Egyptian protesters being stomped by police makes me understand that humans are looking for an excuse to forget about the meaning of empathy. And if it isn’t enough that “foreigners” are getting abused, I see American citizens abusing
humans like they’re lesser forms of filth. After this year, I think I understand why experiments should no longer be conducted on apes, or why animals should no longer be kept in zoos. Humans tend to treat others of lesser intelligence or ability as lesser beings. I think this now because of what Steven Hawkins said, “If we were to be invaded by an alien race, they would be so far advanced that they would look upon humanity as flies, infesting a sandwich. They would have no remorse with wiping us out, just like we have no remorse killing a fly because they are no where near the same intelligence as us.”

This speaks volumes about human behavior and philosophy, and in all honesty, it’s very disheartening. If an alien race were to ever reach Earth, I would hope their society and philosophy would have evolved to the point that understands how precious and special life is in this universe. Just think about this: if the the Earth was but a few hundred miles further or closer, the sun would not be enough or too much for life to develop and flourish. I don’t want to even address the effects of gravity having on our Earth within those hundred miles, or how, even if temperatures would miraculously stabilize, would affect our rotation or orbit and not allow life to flourish to the point it has now.

Watching police officers pepper spray and abuse other human beings just because a piece of paper allows them to conduct in a certain behavior made me realize how unethical our society truly has become. We let Nazis off after WWII because they were soldiers obeying orders, but how are those soldiers from the 1940s any different than the riot police of today? We want to hold that one officer accountable for pepper spraying those kids sitting, peacefully protesting, but isn’t he just following procedures? Isn’t he just following orders? I say, “Yes”, but at what cost? He has obviously sacrificed his humanity to maintain a paycheck or his own well-being. I can’t blame him for that, but lets really break down how he’s acting. He has allowed ethereal ideas take hold of him; i.e., he has allowed the ink that was superposed by someone else, control who he is. Would he have pepper sprayed that group if his daughter was sitting there? I don’t think so, but why should a blood relative change the way you act/react? A genetics test has shown that every human being comes from one of two sources: Asia and Africa. We are all essentially brothers and sisters, down to our very core - genetically. Why should we allow a piece of paper dictate who we are? Why should borders that don't truly exist affect our behavior towards each other? Is there a real way to change? I don’t know, but I do know that as long as the Internet continues to flourish and technology continues to advance, hopefully our single consciousness will form a global consciousness and humanity will begin to realize hurting each other is no worse than hurting our own family.

But this is nothing but a rant so there’s no real answers or ideas for the betterment of humanity. So I guess I just have my youthful hope, and all I can do is love my self, my family, my friends and be as nice to people as I possibly can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment